Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Woolie Memories

Searching through all the rubbish in my office today looking for old knitting patterns I got thinking about all the items I had knitted oh so many years ago. My hand was hovering near the dusty photo albums. Nostalgia got the better.
The first knitted item of note I can remember was a suit, yes a knitted two piece suit. A straight pencil skirt and a long line cardigan jacket. It was a brown flecked tweed yarn. The suit was so comfortable to wear and I loved it. I must have knitted it in about 1962 In this photo I found I have only the jacket on. The skirt, in this photo though, I had recycled from a dress I had made and got tired of. I think the photo was taken in 1963 or early 64. Hey ho. Happy carefree days, racing back and forth on my little blue Vespa moped. dancing to live rock bands...........................but we worked hard too.

Then in 65 came marriage and knitting for babies The little cardigan young Sean had on was knitted in apple green. Quite revolutionary when all baby knitting was white blue or pink! I made his little rompers too. The wool blanket on the back of the sofa is still in use today albeit a little worse for wear nowadays

Note the blanket! The chunky brown jacket on number 2 son, DJ wore so well it was passed on to Number 3 son, JA


Time to progress to more complicated stuff. This sweater Hubby is wearing was in an oatmeal coloured tweed wool with a brown Fair Isle panel across it. I found once the technique was mastered it wasnt difficult. He wore it for a long time and it didnt wear out but got a little tight as his girth expanded.
Lots more school jumpers followed and garments for friends like this lovely boucle wool zip jacket I knitted in 1980 for a young 'Pantmclee' This photo was taken at Capilano in Vancouver.
After 11 sweaters in one year I couldnt knit any more. Knitting burnout! Crochet hooks were still evident so instead i crocheted tank tops, ponchos, baby shawls and jackets. A beautiful lacy Christening dress, I just wish I still had the pattern! Another two piece suit. This one a fashion disaster! And then there was this bedspread. In a white dishcloth cotton. Its still in use 25 year old now!

The final crochet period then began, using lacy patterns and fine yarns as I began to make lacy doilys.Very Victorian!! This is the only one I still have all the others were donated to Charity shops as tastes moved on. Thank goodness!

Needles and yarns became defunct over the next few years as I lost intrest. Cake making took over and making elaborate celebration cakes took over. Thats a whole new story.

I never found those pattern. They must have gone the same way as all my collection of knitting needles and crochet hooks. To a Charity shop.

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...