Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Who was Valentine

It's Valentines day today. A day strictly for the romantics. Slushy gooey anonymous cards and overpriced red roses etc, etc. Not a day this family celebrates! Besides, Hubby hasn't a romantic bone in his body!
No one really knows the origins of the day. Somewhere back in time between the Pagans and the Romans the origins of the day has been lost in myths and legends. The Catholic church celebrates three St Valentines and the day has come to be associated with Lovers and Romance.
The lacy wrist warmers are finally finished. Theres a few mistakes in the pattern but they're not noticeable unless you look hard. Although the yarn was the wool recomended by the actual pattern it hasn't knitted up to show the lace pattern as clearly as the mitts displayed on the pattern sheet. Maybe it would be clearer with a different yarn.
This scarf was knitted using garter stitch in zigzag panels. The pattern in the book demonstrates the scarf with different blocks of colour for each panels and a second scarf in a solid colour. I knitted it in chunky wool in a solid colour. The zig zag panels are not very evident with using solid colour yarn.

1 comment:

Pants said...

Nothing says Happy Valentines Day like knitting!

I LOVED the old photos in your last post. I'm sure I've got some old photos somewhere of my mom and I wearing some vests you crocheted for us.

I've been so busy with teaching this term that my own knitting has been slow going. I'll be sure to send along some pics when I finish something!

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...