Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My First Pair of Socks

I drove across to Oundle last week. It's such a charming little town with lots of small individual and interesting shops. No global super stores in sight. It's a delight to visit and easy to park. I really should go there more often as the shopping is a far pleasanter experience than our City center with its global stores.
I needed some more knitting wool and another project. I decided on a pair of socks and a baby jacket. The jacket has the back knitted but I've come to a halt at the moment until I have a quite time to master the cabling up the jacket front. It's a little more complicated than I've tackled before. In the mean time I've knitted these socks. Another first.
The turning the heel wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.

I found it amazing how the wool knitted up so the patterning is the same on both socks. Well almost.
The wool was a German yarn Opal from Zwerger. Well I think so. I'm afraid my German is dire. Extremely basic! I wonder why all the good sock yarn comes from Germany though. I want to knit some more but using the TrexXXL yarn They have some really snazzy colours. Another German yarn. I've found it on EBay but I also found a better supply from Germany. Cheaper too.

1 comment:

Pants said...

Wow! Those look great! My mom's been wanting to finish some socks she started when I was over there.

You'll have to come here and give her a tutorial.

Our friend Sally is crazy about knitting socks and has researched every possible heel-turning technique. So, lots to talk about and knit when you come here next!

I meant to comment on your previous entry. I don't know if you remember, but when I was a kid, Uncle Dave kept me busy building my own "weather predictor." He made me go out and find a pine cone, then search high and low for a piece of string. Then he tied the string to the pine cone and hung it outside and we went inside to watch it. After nothing happened, I asked him how it was going to predict the weather. He said, "Well, when it swings from side to side, you'll know it's windy. When it turns white, you'll know it's snowing, when it's wet, it's raining."

I guess some things never change!

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...