Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Earthquake

At just before 1am this morning I was woken by the house shaking and the radiators rattling. I thought "sounds like we've had another earthquake," turned over and went back to sleep.

Damaged roof and chimneys in Yorkshire

Apparently it was the strongest one for over 25 years. The epicenter was some miles north under Market Rasen in Lincolnshire. The early news said it was at Dudley! Apparently it was 5.2 on the Richter scale not a bad one but unusually strong for us in Britain. I expect tonight's news will be full of the damage its done and peoples experiences. The last one I experienced here was one afternoon some 12 to 15 years ago. That was about 1/2 a mile deep under Ferry Meadows. A bit closer to home and a little more scarier.

When I was a Kid the thoughts of earthquakes use to scare the hell out of me. Now I know better although I don't think I'd ever make Los Angeles my home!!

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...