Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Galanthus Galore

Just look at this beautiful delicate flower gracing our gardens in the depth of winter. Such a joy to see them pushing up through the cold soil. This delicate graceful flower robustly suvives the rain, frosts and snows winter can throw at it.

The Snowdrop, an apt name for a flower at this time of year, but strangly its latin name galanthus means 'milk flower'. They grow from little white bulbs that dislike being dried out so they thrive in dampish humus rich soil and perfer shade especially woodlands. The best way to get them in your garden is to plant them when they are in green leaf. A pot from you Garden Center, a few begged from a friends garden or devided and replanted from your own garden.

I'm gradually spreading clumps around my little garden. Each year I dig up a clump devide them up and replant them. These beautiful double flowers are going to be dug up this year. These were rescued from my late Ma in Laws garden when her house was sold. Looking out of the window this morning I couldn't resist grabbing the camera to get shots of these little flowers growing next to the heuchera 'Purple Petticoat'. Their frosted leaves and flowers glinting in the early morning sun were so beautiful. If the neighbours saw me early on a cold Sunday morning rushing over the frost covered grass in flip flops and taking photos of flowers they would thought me quite mad!


I picked a few to make some drawings. It didn't take them long to begin to open even in the cool temperature of my studio.

These snowdrops are the in woodlands at Moggerhanger Park in Bedfordshire. The park opens for a couple of weeks for visitors to see the carpets of flowers. Anglesey Abbey in Cambridgeshire does the same as does several other Stately Homes and Gardens around the country

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...