Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Withering Weather


Daves new gadjet is this smart looking weather station. It's found a home sitting on the shelf in the corner of the kitchen with a wireless sensor of the fence outside. Normally I ignore it. My philosophy is 'I can see what the weather is up to by looking out of the window'. This morning I glanced up at it,... 7 degrees? Outside. Nah can't be right. Ok the sun is shining but its frosty and looks cold. It's only 8am and I'm still in my nighty! The thing had to be wrong so I nipped outside with another thermometer. Ouch it was cold. Time to get the fire going while giving the second thermometer time to respond.


Checking them both a few minutes later they both gave the same readings ........... minus 7 degrees! It also told me the sun was shining! See I told you I only needed to look out of the window. The ground out side is frozen dry and the plants wilted with the cold. Hopefully they will recover as the temperature rises. I'm a little worried about the little peach tree on the south wall. It is covered in buds that will soon open. I need to find the fleece to protect it if these frosts continue. During the morning I kept an eye on the weather station. By midday the temperature was zero and then it crept up to 6 degrees before the sun began to set and the temperature started to plunge once more. It's a while since it's been this cold around this part of the county. We normally get away with some of the mildest weather in the country apart from Cornwall.

This is the view right at this moment from my office window. The sky is a spectacular golden orange sunset. Another cold night in store I fear. But a sunny day again tomorrow. See who needs a weather gadjet?

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...