Pages

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Oh What a Week

The week promised much. Dave had booked his last week off for this financial year and we hoped to make a start on some preliminary clearing work for the planned renovations of the kitchen and bathroom as well as a trip to Yorkshire to see brother and sister in law.

Mothering Sunday
A lovely start to the week, the weather was sunny and pleasant. We picked up Miss G from her Dad’s and took her home to her Mum’s first before heading off to Toft a little village west of Bourne where we were booked in for Sunday lunch. Waiting at the Toft House Hotel was my Mum, my sister, brother in law and my two Nieces with their families. We had a lovely happy chatty time and the food was really good.
After a prolonged lunch we headed out to Haconby to my Niece Bev’s new house. The house is a large new, four bed roomed, spacious house in a secluded village setting and in a room over their double garage they run their constantly expanding little business.
Bev served up her usual outsize spread for tea and we had a noisy afternoon with more chat while the kids played around us.

Monday
Another nice sunny day. Dave sorted out the space in the garden for the bins and I emptied out the old dead fridge where I stored my cake making sugars and fruit. It needs to go to the tip. An uneventful day really but we got a few thing done.

Monday evening. Now thing begin to take a downwards turn. I go to bed but start to feel really ill. I toss and turn and can’t sleep well, I begin to vomit at about 5.30 in the morning. I'm cold and shivery. By morning I’m so wreaked and can hardly get out of bed.. We are supposed to be going to Yorkshire today. Dave rings to cancel. The pharmacist give him some medication for me to help stop the vomiting. It doesn’t stop until gone midday on Tuesday

Tuesday night is another bad night tossing and turning and by morning I’m still shattered. I get another shock,
Wednesday
I’ve had some internal bleeding. I’m a bit stunned, what do I do? With my family history of cancer I start to imagine the worst. OK, best thing, go and talk to the Doc then it’s on my records if it happens again.
The Doc’s new to me. Not my usual GP. I describe whats happened . He wants to know how I know the correct terminology! I tell him, so he takes me seriously now. After an embarrassing examination he agrees with me that There has been a significant bleed from somewhere.

I have to go to hospital straight away. OK Well, I didn’t expect that! What a pain.

Hospital
It’s a nightmare being a patient. Bloods from my non compliant veins but only after three sites had been probed. A two way drip inserted with fluids intravenously reluctantly dripping into my veins. The admission and assessment ward is busy. I send Dave home. Hospitals are his least favourite places. Two old ladies in the beds opposite both look as if they’ve been in the wars. Beds are found for them in appropriate wards. I’m left alone in the bay. I hear all the commotions along the corridor in the other bays.
The curtains are quickly whipped around my bed. A new patient is brought in. He’s 85, with dementia and noisy. Oh deep joy. ‘Darling you know I love you’ keeps booming out and echoing around the ward. Four nurses assemble to change him. I escape to the loo dragging the drip stand with me. I sit enthroned waiting for the noise of his shouting that still reaches me to subside. By 12.30am the staff have found me a bed on the Gastoenterology ward so to my great relief I’m trundled out and up three flight away from the mayhem.
Thursday
Will I manage to get home? No, ‘fraid not. My endoscopy’s not been booked. More intravenous fluids go up and a second line with IV meds. The Consultant with six junior doctors in tow arrives. More prodding and poking. He agrees I’m right I have had a significant bleed. He decides I need an urgent referral for an endoscopy.
Hurray! I can eat until tonight. This decision is quickly reversed. Fluids only, once more. I protest. They weaken and I get two weetabix, two chocolate biscuits and a cup of tea. For lunch! Then more 'Nil by Mouth'
You have to be an excellent sleeper to cope in hospital. The wind roars around the building leaking through the old single glazed crittal windows to gently waft the curtains. Shoes squeak and creak along tiled corridors. Nurses whisper to each other. Telephone bells ring. Trolley wheels rumble along. Call bell bleep out. The bed pan masher churns. The unmusical hacking coughs, groaning and snoring of the elderly inmates along the corridors penetrates our quite four bed bay. I want to go home to my nice comfortable quite bed.
Friday
By this time my blood pressures sky high. At last I have my endoscopy. They decide to give me an intravenous sedation for the procedure. Thank goodness. I’d never cope with just a spray in my throat. No source of bleeding is found. I told them I was a fraud. Now I have to have more tests. Oh no not that one. I helped Mum through that. It wasn’t pleasant. But at least I can go home. I’ll get an out patient appointment.
Saturday
Peace and quite at last. What a blessed night sleep. 9.30pm to 7am. Woke up twice turned over and went straight back to sleep. Just a bit shaky still but improving fast.

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...