Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Springs on the Way

After my regular morning swim I had to forgo my usual trip to Sundays for coffee todayand take a trip into Rutland to Tixover Grange. I was supposed to meet with a Rutland Social Worker to discuss my Sister in Laws care at her Nursing Home. Mmmmm........ Someone mess up the appointments and I'm not putting my hand up. The meeting was yesterday, so I missed it. Fortunately there has not been any change in her condition that needed any change of policy and I signed all her care plans at the end of November last year.
She's a stroke victim and her home is now a Nursing home set in this lovely rural setting in a valley amonst the gentle rolling Rutland hills. When she had the stroke she was home all alone and didn't manage to get to the phone soon enough to call for help. Stroke victims need help fast. So her stroke was quite devastating. Her initial care in hospital was somewhat hit and miss. She contracted MRSA there and I discovered that the Hospitals infection control policy was pretty abysmal and their communication somewhat chaotic. Physiotherapy was haphasard. Then, the County Council refused to fund her for rehabilitation. She was 76 and too old! TOO Old. I protested but the purse holders won. Now she just vegetates. Her remaining brain cells have atrophied through lack of use Her muscles have atrophied. The post stroke depression won over. Sometimes I think the care system at the present time for some has some what regressed. When I worked with elderly people back in the 60's patients were just left to vegetate then. Now there's a fantastic amount of thought put into entertaining and occupying elderly people. But, only if they will accept and participate. My Sister in Law needed it and and should have had it but her remaining brain cells rebelled and she refused to cooperate, so she was left to vegetate. Its all to do with Human Rights and not forcing people to do what they don't want to do. She needed that forcing. If she had been made to do certain things she wouldn't have been in the position shes in right now. Just laying looking at the ceiling waiting to die. There I've had my rant.

It was quite lovely out at Tixover today though. I took a walk past the old Grange through the trees and down to the lake before driving home. It was fresh, not too cold and with some sunshine breaking through the sketchy cloud layer.

The newborn lambs were bleating for their shaggy winter coated Ma's. Rooks, crawed loudly in the tree tops as they sorted out their nests for their coming nesting season. Under the trees the snowdrops nodded their heads in the breeze and the pale yellow primroses peeped through their covering of dead leaves. The coarse woolly leaves of foxgloves are growing through the leafy woodland floor and banks of daffodils with their buds bent over almost ready to burst open into a riot of yellow. A moorhen and pair of mallard ducks were swimming lazily on the lake searching for a suitable nest site.

A nice gentle walk, not too long. Just enough to clear my head before I headed home. Aaahhhh arn't they cute. Shame to think they'll land up on your plate in a few month time as the delicious roast leg of lamb or beautifully soft and suculaent lamb shank!

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...