Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My Cymbidium

I've been watching my orchid buds growing since the beginning of January this year. They start with a small spear of a green shoot much like the how the new leaves emerge. The only difference is the flower shoots feel slightly fatter. They grow to about 3 to4 inches before any flower buds emerge.
Orchids grow really slowly and don't like to be re potted until they are very pot bound. At this time of year and over winter my pots sit in bright light in my cool conservatory. In the summer the they go outside but away from bright sun. Then, in the Autumn they are brought inside and are watered with rain water and fed once a week with orchid feed.


This orchid is about 15 years old at least. It was given to me by the Sugarcraft Guild when I stood down as Chairman. For several years it didn't flower then about three years ago and after I gave it a really good talking to and threatened it with the compost heap it flowered, producing seven flower spikes. This year it only has two Maybe I haven't been too conscientious about feeding it.

My other orchid is a red one. I think it's due for a 'good talking to', it hasn't flowered now for two years. It's lush and healthy, it should flower. Maybe next year.

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...