Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Christmas in the City

with the Grumpy old Woman.
I don't venture into the City center very often nowadays. There doesn't seem much point as all the shops are the sort of shops that can be seen in any High Street in England. There are too few small individual interesting shops, no boutiques, just main stream stores. Mainly stores selling mobile phones, shoes and jewelry. So boring. All the small shops have been priced out of the city by the high rates.
I had to collect Dave from work last Friday so I thought I go in to the City and take a look at the Christmas lights. Oh dear! I think the designer of this years lights and activities in the center got it badly wrong. I think they must have been trying for chic and contemporary but it looked naff and nasty. Chic and contemporary would look good if the surrounding are minimal and uncluttered but then some one had the surreal idea of erecting these massive wooden shacks in the middle of the pedestrian area. They are not even selling anything exciting. It looked cheap and tacky. These strange looking cones on the lamp posts may look pretty at night but during the day the are awful horrible dirty grey fluffy things The center of the City, Cathedral Square, has had an ice rink plonked in the middle of it with more wooden shacks selling fast foods down one side. The view of the lovely St Johns church and The Guildhall has been totally obliterated. Even the Christmas tree has no decorations just a glitzy star at the top.
Queensgate shopping Mall. Well what can I say? More of the same. Funny green ?snowflakes with neon lights! Insignificance clear lights trailing from the roof. I won't go on too depressing.


Am I getting Old? Becoming a grumpy old woman. Maybe. But no, I like chic and contemporary and chic and contemporary these ain't. M&S has got it right with tasteful and pretty decorations. John Lewis's decorations are OK, albeit more understated than previous years. I'll go back to the Serpentine Green Mall at Hampton. Much prettier. OK, not many shops but all I need and the car parks free.
Maybe I'm just missing the Christmas sparkle and magic in the shopping Malls of Canada. After just getting back from two months in Richmond, Canada I thought a trip in to Peterborough would lift the spirits and get me in a festive mood. Sorry Peterborough you've got it wrong this year.

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...