Pages

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Our Christmas

Welcome to our Christmas
A few days before Christmas I relented and forced myself to find some Christmas spirit. OK so a a glass of sherry helped! Dragging the Christmas decorations out of the attic. I spent the afternoon 'artfully' arranging the decorations and wrapping parcels. As my Christmas tree went to Jason's home last year when I decided it was too big and I couldn't be bothered with it! I bought a small metal garden obelisk from Wyevale Garden center and wound some green and blue streamers, lights and ribbons around it. I know it's not a tree but it looks pretty and it fits in the space just right.

I lovely warm log fire sets the scene. We've just had a delivery of seasoned ash logs and Dave spent Sunday splitting them.
On Christmas Eve after I dropped Dave off at work. I skipped my usual swim as the cold was still in my sinuses and decided to go across to Tixover Grange Care Home with Sheila's Christmas present and a parcel of 'goodies' for the staff and residents from Sheila. I didn't go in to see her as the last thing she needs is a virus infecting her.

The narrow lane down to Tixover Grange had been well and truly plastered with mud from the farm tractors going along the lane and the wet weather hadn't helped so by the time I got back to Peterborough to pick up Dave my car looked as if I had been on a Cross Country Trial. It was thickly caked with red Rutland mud.

Spalding was our next stop to the butchers to pick up out meat order. There's not a descent traditional butchers left in Peterborough now. Just the Supermarkets. No one can beat the 'Browning Sausages' from Bennet's in Spalding. The little shop was heaving with people. They must have thought our Christmas dinner was to be sausages when the butcher brought out my order of 10 pounds! There's some for the boys in the freezer, well when I remember get them out.
On then to another butchers in the center of Spalding, 'Adams' who do the best traditional home cured ham around. Dave just loves it. Then, to my favourite shop, 'Bookmark', we have a light lunch here then browse the shop. I buy a book on Spalding in the 1950's for Dave and a present for my sister and brother in law.
A drive through the car wash to remove all the mud completed our trip to Spalding on Christmas eve.

Christmas day dawns wet and miserable. It's not so cold as it has been. We have a late breakfast before fetching Darrin and Jason. They're having Christmas dinner with us. I braved the rain out in the garden to pick these cheerful Lenten roses with sprigs of bay and rosemary to brighten up the Christmas table.
Later in the afternoon we go across to Westwood to Sean and Dawns. Its become a ritual since the grand children were small as their Mum and Dad felt it was unfair to drag them away from their new presents. Michael our eldest grandson was there with his daughter Caitlyn-Rae our gorgeous little great grand daughter.
It's Caitlyn-Rae's second Christmas. Shes 16 months old now and bright as a button. She trots around and cheerfully follow simple instructions. She 'mothers' her baby doll, plays with the dog Teja and she has quite a repertoire of recognisable words. Quite forward for her age.
Teja, Michael's little 'ratty' dog is a fixture in their household. He's very affectionate and likes to play. He'll fetch a ball as long as you can keep up throwing it. You'll tire first!


Ever one is following Caitlyn's antics.

Boxing day is damp but not raining. We pick up Jason just before midday and head off to the 'Baskerville's' at Baston to meet up with my family for dinner. They have collected Jason's daughter, Grace from her home in Bourne. We all have a pre dinner drink before sitting down to a carvery dinner.

After the meal we head back to Bourne to Bev and Barrys. This is their second year together and they're hosting our Boxing day afternoon get together this year. The mistletoe over the entrance door is not the only thing she's been over enthusiastic with! The delicious spread she and Barry prepare later in the afternoon would have fed a small army!

Barbara with her second grandson Joshua, Bev & Barrys son

Second cousins. Lauren, Natalie's eldest daughter with Grace, Jasons daughter, our youngest grand daughter.

6 Month old Joshua with the Teddy I knitted.


Barbara with Lily, her second grand daughter, Natalie's youngest daughter in the jacket and hat I knitted while I was in Canada this autumn.

We all had a great afternoon. We talked, reminisced, played games, ate and drank. All to soon Christmas was over. All that agonising preparation and its over in a flash.

I suppose we should offer thanks to Charles Dickens for reviving Christmas otherwise it would have died out completely by now! Despite the costly aspect of it maybe we need the bit of light hearted festivity in the midst of winter gloom.

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...