Pages

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Knitting for England

Pantsmclee what have you started?

Once upon a time I was a serial Knitter. Then one year disaster struck. After eleven sweaters completed in one year I caught a fatal case of 'knitting burnout', In the next 34 years any attempt at picking up knitting needles was followed by a case of severe lethargy. Needles and patterns were given away and I settled half heartily to crochet, macrame and patchwork.

During Nancylees visit to us in 2004 I was dragged around John Lewis wool department and other wool shops in the region. Tempted I bought a cute knitted teddy bear kit and began knitting. Fluffy furry wool is not the best of wools to start knitting with after 34 years is all I can say. I did allot of swearing over that cute innocent little bear,

A trip to London to the Knitting and Stitchery Show at the Alexander Palace followed in 2006 and this jacket kit was the result. The pattern and design of the garment is very simple but the fit is not great. It will make a great jacket to snuggle up in on cold winter nights.

This last trip to Canada saw the needles clicking, and back with vengeance, A hat for a Granddaughter followed by two scarves, a toddler's jacket and hat and this unusual collar/shawl in a yarn spun by Nepalese women from recycled silk saris

The pattern looked a piece of cake but definitely wasn't. One mistake and the pattern was ruined and had to be very delicately unraveled.
Back home in the UK and another scarf followed in a chenille wool. This was a snip, plain knit with a small needle size and the result was a lovely velvety feel fabric. This second hat was started before our Canadian trip this autumn and abandoned. Picking up the needles again I unraveled the knitting and started again. The pattern was simplified and this is the result. The wool is a charcoal grey Rowan tweed.

I've several balls of yarn now for some trendy fingerless gloves. Should keep me out of mischief for a while.






1 comment:

Pants said...

Oh, wonderful knitting! I'm afraid the birthday gift we've sent will only feed the addiction!

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...