Pages

Friday, December 21, 2007

Winter Solstice


Well it's the shortest day today or the longest night whichever way you want to look at it. It has certainly felt like a short day. Breakfast this morning at 8am was in a very dim conservatory as the morning was dark and very cold and this evening it was dark and very cold at 4pm. Oh well look on the bright side the days now start to get longer.
The winter solstice is one of the oldest winter celebrations in the world. Falling on December 21st the shortest day of the year the Solstice was celebrated in Britain long before the arrival of Christianity. Druids would cut mistletoe from oak trees and give it as a Blessing. Oaks were sacred and mistletoe was a symbol of life in the dark winter months. The Druids also began the tradition of the Yule log. They thought the sun stood still for 12 days in the middle of winter and during that time the yule log would be lit to conquer darkness, banish evil spirits and bring luck in the coming year.
As I seems to have developed shocker of a cold over night I decided to forgo swimming this morning. Instead I headed for Tesco early and managed to get the Grocery shopping done before the mad rush of people determined to empty the shop in case there's a catastrophe over Christmas that prevents them ever shopping again!.
Shopping stowed away I have a well earned rest while I wait for the anti cold medication to kick in. I have to tackle the city this afternoon before collecting Dave from work.
There's long queues for the car parks so I have to park at Darrin's flat and walk to the shops. Queensgate Mall is busy but not heaving and I manage to get most of the last of my Christmas shopping done before the cold medication gives out.
I've been quite determined this year not to spend so much at Christmas. I'm slowly getting to the 'Bah Humbug' stage. Does that affect all older people I wonder? It all seems so unnecessary. The 'One Show' on television last night did an item on Christmas consumerism. In their street interviews it seems I'm not alone.

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...