Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Saying a Sad Farewell

After my morning swim I decided to forgo coffee in town today and go straight home. I had a task to get through. Not one I was looking forward to. In fact I really didn't want to do this but I'm afraid she has to go. Poor Astra.  Her age was catching up with her. She is rusting slowly away. I've had my lovely girl since she came out of the showroom all shiny red paint and with that 'new car' vinyl smell. She's been a faithful companion for 15 years now. She never let me down. Starting her trusty engine when ever I asked her in sun, rain, fog, frost and deep snow. 
She's helped the kids in their numerable house moves and never once complained. Shes hauled boot loads of fire logs to keep Jase warm in the winter. Enumerable loads of garden rubbish have been transported to the tip. So many loads of unwanted acquisitions have gone to charity shops and Car Boots. Vast quantities of shopping from the supermarkets have been transported home. She's ferried Kids and Grand Kids about the County. Took us from one end of the country to the other without a hitch and carried me back and forth to town most days for the last 15 years.
Sadly now her care is getting expensive at I time when I need to conserve the finances. Her taxes are far more than her larger successor because she's so old. The last two harsh winters have taken a toll on the fading red paint work.
So this morning so reluctantly I make phone calls, to the dealers 'Himself' has pulled from the paper to make sure I do this. I haggle. Apparently She's too old to resell and too old for parts. I know they're all spinning me yarns. Eventually find a nice chap who will come and look her over and if he likes her he will take her for her final journey to the 'antique' car scrap yard. 

'Himself' supervised her loading onto the transporter.

She's all tethered down ready to go.
the last farewell!
going.. going..
Gone...Farewell Old friend.
Oh dear, there's such and empty space on the drive. What have I done. What am I going to do with out her?


No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...