Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

Conquering the Car fears

Well I've done it. Got the better of the new Vectra's gear box. I said it wouldn't beat me. We've has this car for a year now, but because I still had my old faithful red Astra estate. A good old work horses that had been good to me for 15 years now. I automatically got in it when ever I went out alone in the car. Going out with 'Himself we went in the Vectra of course.  I never have the inclination to drive when 'Himself' is in the car. We work better when he drives and I navigate and that's how it's been for 48 years! I drove it once when we first bought the shiny new Vectra but then kept faith with old Astra. I didn't like Vectra's six gears. I mean why do you need six gears?
Now, sadly my old faithful Astra has to go. She's never ever given me any bother and always started on cue. The sad fact is I can't afford to run two cars now and her poor body work is suffering from winter weather exposures. She has slow creeping rust problems on her bodywork.
Since we came home from Canada I've been stuck in the house. Astra has no Tax insurance or MOT so she has to stay immobile. Tempting! Anyway I'd had enough of Cabin Fever and demanded to go out. I need to be able to drive. I really can't imagine why I find driving a different car so daunting I never have before. Do I feel unfaithful to poor old Astra? After a short drive out on Tuesday I decided today I'd conquer this reluctance once and for all.
Off then on our jaunt then this afternoon, out of the estate, the long way round passed Chequers and out on the Elton road then cutting over to Wansford through to the A1 then North up to Stamford. Out of Stamford towards Barnack and through to Helpston stopping for afternoon tea at Willowbrook Farm Granary. While we were there we booked ourselves in for their Sausage night in November and a Pudding Night next week. Next stop, into the butchers shop, for some fresh local meat. Well we had to have some of their own made Willowbrook Farm  sausages for tonight's dinner. Then back in the car through to Bretton with a stop at Aldi to stock up on their cheap but excellent products then home. Sorted. Got these gears sussed and I'm relaxed with the driving. Guess there's no reason not to get out early in the mornings now. So no reason not to go for a swim. Well my legs still not quite recovered from the allergy. So I guess I could wait a day or two longer. But at least I can get out to the shops now when I want to!

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...