Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

Monday Blues


It's Monday  and it's not a good day. The weather doesn't know whether to rain or shine. The winds rather blustery and cool. Tempers here are a little fraught today. It must be the weathers effect.  Every one is doing stuff in different areas of the property. Keeping their distance.  Hopefully as the day passes nerves will calm.
I had a wander around the garden this morning. There's still lots of work to do here.  But to cheer me up I took this photo of this little sunflower. Now it's only small and It's in a place where it shouldn't be but it's so cheerful I left it be. I'm assuming the seed is from the bird food we put out in the winter. The birds are usually so thorough in picking up all the scattered seed that I'm not sure how this one escaped

 The seed center is so perfect but I suspect it will never produce seeds the same size as it developed from. Note the minuscule baby snail under the seeds to the right!

 Elsewhere in the garden plants have been prolific and productive. The fuchsia is still flowering away. I love these lovely dancing bell like flowers and there are several dotted around the garden. This one is a dwarf variety, I think called Thumbellina but I may be wrong.

 The dwarf peach tree my sister gave me several years ago has up to now been a disappointment. The peaches are small, white fleshed and so sweet, that is when they manage to stay on the tree long enough to ripen. When they have done they've generally been attached and guzzled by ferocious wasps. This year however the tree is laden. They look ready to eat but they are still like little rocks. I'm undecided to pick them and ripen them on a windowsill or leave them hoping that this year the wasps will not find them.

 
 The grape vine is slowly making it's way up to the roof of the garage. Such an abundance of verdant growth. Sadly though, the grapes this year are rubbish. They're always small and have fiddly seeds in them, but are usually sweet. Daisy the resident tortoise loves them. as does the wasp population. Maybe that's why the peaches have been left alone this year. No grapes to attract them.

Blogger has changed the style of it's dashboard once again. I hope this one will not give me the grief the last design did otherwise I will have to change blog sites.

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...