Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Home Sweet Home

Well I'm back, not quite into the old routein yet. We needed a meal out last night. I'm very badly jet lagged today. I slept most of the afternoon but was still tired when I managed to pull myself back into the land of the living. I just hope I'm not up roaming the house again at three o'clock in the morning again.
It was bright sunshine when I arrived back in Heathrow, but this morning, Oh dear, grey skies and pouring rain. There's been quite a bit of rain recently as well as very cold temperatures. The pond is almost brimming over but the fish were up and swimming this morning , not skulking away at the bottom as they do when the weathers cold. The temperature this morning was about 6 degrees but it felt colder to me.
The warm snuggly coat I bought in Vancouver to cope with all the weeks of snow and below freezing temperatures (which the Canadians insist they never have on the lower mainland of Vancouver!) wasn't coping keeping me so warm for some reason this morning in the horrible cold rain.
Well I got my wish of a white Christmas. We had snow from December 12th and there were still heaps of unmelted snow lying when I left yesterday, or was it the day before! Apparently Nancy woke up to another sprinkling of the white stuff yesterday. That would be when I was in the air flying home.
Dave took me grocery shopping across at Hampton this morning. Needs must. The fridge was bare as I found out at 3am when I was starving hungry. A mug of horlick had to suffice.

My orchids are flowering their little socks off! The green cymbidium has three flower spikes with three more coming. The red one has three flowering spikes. There are snowdrops and crocus out in the garden. The daffodils are shooting up as well and the lenten roses are flowering away. Springs definitely on the way.
One thing I missed when I was in Canada were the little garden birds and their singing. The blue tits, great tits gold finches and green finches were all at the feeding stations this morning twittering away. Even the cheeky squirrel put in an appearance.


The wet weather has played havoc with our house roof. We've small damp patches on our bedroom ceiling where rain has penetrated. Dave hadn't noticed it as it's across my side of the bedroom. We've a Roofer coming tomorrow morning to look at the damage. Hope it's not too bad, but I've also notices long hair line cracks in the ceiling that were not there when we went away in early December. I suppose houses have to show their age as well!

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...