Pages

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Winter Flowers

Our orchids will soon need to be repotted. They're bursting out of the plastic pots they are confined in. They do like their roots confined but when they crack their pots it's time to upgrade. They've been sitting outside all summer, shaded from the little sun we had and exposed to all the rain. It must have done them good as the flower spikes are shooting up and the buds already opening.
This red orchid refused to flower last year but is making up for it this year. It was Dave's birthday present about four years ago.
Dave loves these waxy flowers but I must admit I'm not so taken.

Out in the garden the deep purple leaves of the Cotinus or 'smoke bush' have turned pinky red and orange. Soon the branches will be bare but I can enjoy these brilliant colours for a few more days yet.


This little pink ground cover rose has always lived in this pot so doesn't always flower as prolifically as it ought to but despite the cold and frosts its still flowering it's socks off.

The buds of the Christmas roses or Lenten roses are poking through the ground and will soon be out in full flower. I have several clumps of these plants dotted around the garden, most self seeded, and they make a cheerful display in the bare winter garden. I usually have a table arrangement of these lovely winter flowers on the Christmas table. This year I'm going to miss the best of their display. I wonder could I pot some and smuggle them with me to Canada. Perhapse not. I tried to find some plants over in Canada a couple of years ago when I was doing some planting in Nancy's garden.

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...