Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Kobe

Alot of people have asked me what sort of dog I have when I buy large sacks of dog food. None I reply . It's my son's dog. He's a Neapolitan Mastiff. A what.............?

Well 6 years ago No. 2 son, Darrin, needed a dog. We suggested a rescue dog. No....no way. It had to be a large dog. He wanted a Neapolitan Mastiff! So several weeks later after an intensive internet search we drew up at an isolated farm house in deepest Essex. As soon as we emerged from the car this large six week old puppy bounded up and Darrin was hooked.

Bon-e-part his pedigree Kennel club name was the most boisterous of the litter. His father weighed in at 18 stone. Nothing disturbed us, the puppies were all so cute. We all were doggie novices although Darrin had some experience with a girl friends dog and he had 'jenned' up on the breed and dog care.

So Bon-e-Part now renamed Kobe, (after the Japanese City) came home with us. He cried, he was car sick and he (sorry) farted all the way home! Kobe (the city) had suffered a massive earthquake a few years before. Kobe (the dog) grew to cause earthquakes. Never never never buy the alpha dog in a litter!!!!

At 6 weeks old he looked so cuddly and soon settled in Darrin's large flat. Carpets were out of the question.

At 3 years, and still not fully grown he had to be banned from our sofa when he came to visit.
Now at 6 years old he's now a fully grown mature dog with teenage attitude problems. He's so soppy and friendly and likes allot of fuss but he's smelly, slobbery and constantly moults. He's had a few spell when he's had to come and live with us. Nightmare! I'm sure dog slobber could be collected and sold for glue! Once it's on the walls or window it's a really, really tough job to get off. On the last visit he was banned from the house but was quite happy in my studio with the patio door open so he could roam outside when he wanted.


He loves the walks around here and sniffs the base of every single tree so its a gentle walk until he realises we're on the way home then there's no stopping him. He gallops home dragging poor me behind him!

In the garden he drinks from the old washing up bowl. He slurps and splashes the water so much it has to be outside.
Oh and despite being car sick he really loves my car. Its an estate car but he will not stay in the back though. Oh no, he jumps in the rear door then, over onto the back seat and and sits there breathing in my ear as I'm driving. Just what you need, smelly breath and slobber in your neck when your driving.

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...