Pages

Sunday, May 4, 2008

May Flowers

May seems to have brought some warmer weather and true to the season the garden is becoming a colourful canvas. My Acer Brilliantissimum has begun leaf out into this beautiful salmon pink colour. I first saw this tree in a garden of a house I was visiting some years ago so when I saw one in the garden center I bought it. We trim it to this lollipop shape every autumn to keep it small and to keep its shape.


The leaves begin this wonderful colour and as the season develops they turn to a yellow and eventually to green.
The aquilegia's or 'Grannies Bonnet' are beginning to open their flower buds. This deep purple one is the first with many more to come. They self seed and pop up all over the garden and if I'm not happy with where they are I dig them up and move them.

The rockery's looking really good this year. I ripped it all out last spring, renewed the soil and grit and replanted it. It's paid off this year, although I expect the ants nest right in it's center will appear once more. I've been fighting them for years now and they always win. It's a bit of a nuisance when I need to stretch over to week as they all swarm out and attack me!
This clematis macropetala is a picture with it's nodding purple/blue blooms. It's the first one out in the garden . Well if you don't count the winter flowering clematis Cirrhosa Balearica. It's lovely lime green flowers with purple speckles cheer up the bare fence in December and January.

I love these colourful bushy plants This ones bright orange and I have another purple one. They belong to the wallflower family but are an evergreen bush. At the moment I can't for the life of me remember their name. Oh dear 'senior moment'

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...