Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Spalding and the Arts

There's quite a few flooded patches in the fields on the way to Spalding this morning. Prue wanted to go early to find parking easily which we did. We want to go to the South Holland Opens Arts exhibition at the South Holland Center.

I needed to go to Book Mark in the Crescent. I love this book shop and it's little friendly teashop. There's not many independent bookshops left but this is a really good award winning one. After I find the books Dave wanted we have a welcome morning coffee in the cafe.

Just across the road from Book Mark is a small Art Gallery called The Woodbine Gallery run by the Yoraths a husband and wife team. They have another Gallery at their home in Whaplode Drove. We have a look at the lovely art work displayed.There's some really nice pieces I would love to have on my walls except for the price tag. Prue gives her card with her blog address for them to look at. I think much of her work is of a similar excellent caliber but she's so full of self doubt.

The South Holland Center is a modern building in the heart of Spalding with a small cinema coffee shop and conference/meeting rooms. It was built on the site of the old Corn Exchange.


I had entered three pieces for this years Open Arts but unfortunately none were selected. Prue had two of her three selected so we were here to view the exhibition and her 'hung' pieces. The overall standard was excellent but again very safe subjects. There was none there that really shouted out at me. The lighting was difficult to get good photos for the blog. I also found the dark chains the pictures were hung from very distracting


These are some pictures from the catalogue and The one below was Whittlesey Wash by James Green and I really liked it but it was behind glass and the reflections from the window made it really difficult to view which was such a pity.

It was noon before we emerges from the exhibition so I suggested a light lunch at Serendipity the small cafe two shops away from the South Holland. I had an mouth watering bowl full of homemade vegetable, lentil and ham soup with fresh bread. Very filling and tasty. A good end to a pleasant morning

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...