Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Remembrance and Getting the Festive Feel

I haven't been going into the City for a coffee fix after my morning swim as often as I use to. Last weeks trip cheered me up though. Normally the approaching Christmas season depresses me but this time was different. Queensgate had decorated for the festive season. 
The last three years have seen the same old lights and decoration being strung across the squares and galleries. Not very inspiring and the City Center lights have been diabolical for the same period. This year however a completely new festive  theme  has brightened the Mall.

 A plethora of blue and white twinkling lights add a sparkle to the recession gloom. They really do look pretty and festive. The photos really doesn't do the space justice.



Yesterday outside Queensgate, in the City Center, the Christmas lights had been erected. I didn't get a chance to go outside onto Cathedral square to see them. The official stitch on isn't until the 19th. Maybe I'll get to saunter outside to see the changes next week. 
yesterday  I was  getting a coffee fix with my other swim mates and waiting for 'Himself' to appear. 
At 11 an there was an almighty boom to mark the start of the Remembrance Day 2 minutes silence. The cafe fell silent and all chatter ended for the 2 minute span. Another boom marked the end of the 2 minutes and soon after 'Himself' appeared. He had been on Cathedral square with the Royal British Legion and hundreds of shoppers marking the silence.
After an amble back through Queensgate and around John Lewis's where we had a bite of lunch we parted. 'Himself' to go for his weekly drink with ex-work colleagues,   past and present,  at the  Ostrich    Pub and me to drive home. On the way home I was listening to Jeremy Vine on the radio He was interviewing Mothers who had lost Sons in the warring conflicts around the world and playing the sons 
favourite music. In the end I just had to switch the radio off as I just could not bear to listen to the heart wrenching stories of the bereaved Mothers. I could not hold back the tears, not good when your driving. 

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...