Pages

Saturday, July 24, 2010

It's not a good weekend so far.

It's not been a good weekend so far and we're only half way through. Yesterday, I stumbled and fell into the washing machine door with disastrous results. A broken door and latch and a bruised leg. So, now no washing machine in operation. At least I had the washing up to date. Himself came home and said he could fix it if we could find the parts. DJ said, no worries if part were not available or it was unfixable as we would be covered by the household insurance policy. Anyway, later I did an Internet search and came across a site I'd used before to order parts from. Now we just have to wait for them to be delivered and hope the washing doesn't pile up too much.
This Mornings post arrived and I opened two letters from the Energy Company that informed me the gas and electric costs would be going up next month. Himself and I threw about ways of reducing our electric usage. One idea Himself threw up was to put the pond pump on a timer so it wasn't operating all the time. I wondered whether this was advisable as the pump was a few years old and would the motor stand being turned on and off.
After an afternoon of working in the garden tidying we discovered the pond pump had stopped! Why did I say it was old! All the simple solutions were investigated with no effect. There was no other option the pump had to come out of the pond. Sounds easy. Not so. The electrical wire to the pump had got trapped under the growing roots of the massive white water lily that was in full bloom. All ways of getting it out were explored to no effect. Finally the wire had to be cut and pulled from under the roots. Still no results. Each tug on the wire pulled the water lily from the bottom. There was then on other option than to get the lily out of the pond. This in itself was no easy task. The poor old Lily had to be hacked into pieces to get it out and release the cable.
Finally the cable came free and smaller roots of the lily were tossed back into the pond. Another problem, the roots won't sink. I think we'll have to fish them out tomorrow and tie a stone to the roots and toss them back in. We still don't know if the pump is terminal or repairable Hopefully Himself will investigate that tomorrow.

The damn lily roots won't sink.
Some of the sad remains of the magnificent lily.

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...