Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2010

An Overnight Lodger


Gold Finches really are the most beautiful little birds to see close up. Yesterday in the freezing weather Dave went out to the garden to bring in more logs for the fire but came back in with a shocked little Gold Finch in his cupped in his hand. We have a niger feeder hanging in the Eucalyptus tree that regularly attracts a small flock of Gold Finches that fly in to feed on them and the sunflower hearts.

The feathers that cover their head and body are so fine that it has the appearance of fine fur or velvet. Their beaks are extremely strong and sharp. Just made for extracting seeds form difficult places and cracking them open.

The little bird in Dave's hand must have flown into the patio door and stunned itself. It lay in his hand quietly never attempting to struggle or peck him. We decided to put him in a largish box in a quiet place, with some sunflower seeds, to see if he would rest and recover.

So many little birds that fly into windows just pick themselves up and fly off. Usually if they are so stunned and shocked they die. So we didn't expect this one to recover. I peeped at him twice during the evening. He was still alive but made no reaction. This morning I peeked, he was still alive and sitting there. A little later I decided I'd gently pick him up to see if he had any damaged wings or limbs but as I lifted the lid he reacted and fluttered. Time to release him. I took the box out to the Eucalyptus tree and out he flew and made his rapid escape. Job done.

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...