Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Familiar processes in a new kitchen

After 23 years of making celebration and wedding cakes in my old kitchen I had all the processes down to a fine art. Each process took a certain length of time to prepare, execute and clear up afterwards.
Now it's like learning all over again in my new kitchen. I'm having to decide where and how to do things all over again to make the best use of my time and space. Where do I weigh ingredient and place them so they're easy to pick up and add to the cake mix, which area is best for rolling out the marzipan and icing to coat the cakes and where do I now store the coated cakes? I coated two cakes yesterday with marzipan and I think it must have taken me twice as long as it normally would have. First I had to find all the equipment I needed to use, then decide which surface would be best to work on. I had also reorganised all my sugarcraft equipment so even that took time trying to remember where I had stored everything! I eventually got it completed. Hopefully it will be easier next time.
Thankfully I don't take many commissions now. Kneading the marzipan was as painful on my thumb joint as making all the sugar roses I need for the decoration.
........and yes these photos were taken some time ago in my old kitchen!








a

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...