Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2008

A Private View

Dave is not normally attracted to Art Exhibitions. Car, aircraft and science museums are more in his line. So I had expected to go to this one on my own unless No 3 son could find time to come along. Anyhow he decided he would go with me. So late Saturday afternoon we attend Barbara Cameron 's (Sewell) and Polly Vincent's 'Private Viewing' in the old Bakehouse of the Great Northern Hotel. This was Barbaras and Pollys first exhibition.

Some of Barbara's previous works already hang in the Hotel having been bought by Peter Boizot some time ago. Notably the three huge canvases that hang in the main function room.
Boizot a renown local entrepreneur and founder of the hugely successful Pizza Express chain is an Art lover and collector with an enormous collection of art. The hotel is an art gallery for a large part of his collection. The bar is painted in a spectacular red and lined with some of the most wonderful prints and paintings all to do with Peters other love Jazz.


I had taken a much better photograph of Barbara It had turned out well so I didn't take another. She jokingly said to me 'I'll break your camera' ..............Wrong thing to say Barbara........ the photo was replaced with a 'Memory Card Error' message

Barbara is a lover of the Scottish Colourists has been painting for years now. A huge influence on her style was her late husband the sculpture and Model maker, Marcus Sewell. All her paintings are abstracts acrylic on canvas. Her work is so energetic with a real depth and understanding of colour.
Out of all the wonderful paintings on display I kept being drawn back to this small intimate deep maroon coloured piece. It's price is a little much for me but I really would like it so If it hasn't sold by the end of the Exhibition I'm going to buy it. I know just where I'll hang it.

The Old Bakehouse is a wonderful place to display art work and the walls are already covered with some of Peter's vast collection.
It still retains on of it's original ovens, made in the city by the Baker Perkins factory.

After we left the exhibition we wandered through the Red Bar admiring the Jazz prints and paintings once again before walking back to the car through the peaceful hotel gardens past the statue of the late Duke Ellington.

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...