Pages

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

New Knits

Its All Fools Day today. I wonder how many daft scams the newspapers will attempt this year. It's No. 2 sons birthday today. He's never really forgiven me for giving birth on April 1st. Anyway I'm taking him out to lunch a little later this morning. I think we might go to Riva the Italian restaurant at the Key Theatre on the Embankment.
My friend Prue gave me a cone of yarn she picked out of a bin of wool at the Sue Rider shop. She had used what she wanted and passed the cone to me. I decided I had a few toning shirt so I would knit a long scarf as well. Prue used Garter stitch for hers so I decided to do a different stitch. Moss stitch didn't work so I pulled it down and started again using 25 stitches and rib pattern. I used 9mm long wooden needles. It was a little awkward handling the yarn and needles but once I master the art of stopping the needles sliding from the stitched when manipulating the yarn it was fine. The length grew very rapidly at about 3 rows to an inch and it wasn't long before I was wondering when to stop! I think the rib pattern worked for the unusual yarn.

The socks are coming on well. I love these Maroon multi coloured ones. They're worked in The German Treking XXLyarn.


I bought this hand spun and dyed yarn from a company called Soctopus It's situated somewhere in the revamped Dockland in London and it arrived beautifully packed. The yarn was wrapped in their own design pink tissue paper and the parcel sealed with a sticky label with the company name on. Inside the parcel was two wrapped coffee flavoured toffees and a hand written 'thank you for ordering' card. I'm looking forward to using the yarn, well when I can persuade Dave to sit and hold the wool while I wind it into a ball.

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...