Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2018

The Heatwave Cools at Last.

Well, the weather’s changed thank goodness. I think. I didn’t cope well with the heatwave of the last few weeks. Another effect of the aging process as in my younger days I use to adore the hot sun.  My arthritic joints are another anathema. Most people with arthritis love the hot weather. My joints prefer cool dry weather. 

Most mornings have found me in swimming in the lido.  As the high summer heatwave has dissipated and more normal cooler weather set in the Lido queues and crowds have opted for other school holiday pursuit.  Families and children still arrive but the regular swimmers have enjoyed a quite few days. 
in the Heatwave, families poured in to enjoy the Lido

The cooler weather has meant Space. No weaving around the person stroking powerfully towards you. They didn’t see you, their swimming line has been invaded by teenagers jumping and diving in from the sides.  No sudden stopping as children stray across your swimming path. No batting a beach ball, that's just hit you on the head, away, back to the laughing children next to you. If you're a strong swimmer you opt for the lanes and swim clockwise or anti-clockwise in rhythm with the other strong swimmers. Les active swimmers, like me, try to swim their lengths around the hoards of fair weather swimmers and the kids just having fun. 

welcome clouds
Fewer suntanned bodies in the water and more rain and cloudier skies have cooled the water slightly and the regulars all breath a sigh of relief. There’s space. Space to swim, to lose yourself in a mindful swim, then, lengths completed, to flip over, relax and float with the liquid silk waters washing around you is pure bliss. To lie there and watch the clouds float across the blue of the sky, or just shut your eyes and feel the gentle movement of the water around you. 

No comments:

As Winter Turns to Spring

As Winter turns to Spring. Now — now, as low I stooped, thought I, I will see what this snowdrop is; As winters dark aura co...